3 hrs ago
23 hrs ago
Vaughan-Beaven Service Learning Leadership Program (SLLP)
The Vaughan-Beaven Service Learning Leadership Program (SLLP) combines formal instruction with related service in the community. Students learn and develop through active participation in organized service for the underprivileged in local, national and international settings.
SLLP students take specially designed courses that expand health care learning experiences in their own programs to learn how to evaluate the health care needs of a community and then develop and promote health care interventions to assist people with successful outcomes in their lives. Service learning experiences allow students to become more culturally aware during travel experiences and change lives for the better.
Anna May Vaughan and Winton Beaven were founders of Kettering College and the earliest proponents of our standards of academic excellence and commitment to service. A pioneer in international nursing mission service in Africa and the Far East, Anna May Vaughan was also the first director of an academic nursing degree in the Greater Dayton area; she advised during the development of the nursing program at Sinclair Community College. Winton H. Beaven had a distinguished service oriented career that spanned seven decades and almost as many continents. His main areas of service included education where his positions ranged from teacher to college president. Through his spoken and written words, Dr. Beaven’s idea of service touched directly and indirectly many lives and will continue to have an influence for years to come. Vaughan/Beaven students participate in a curriculum that explores and stimulates critical analysis of the service needs of various local, regional, national, and global communities.
To be considered for admission, prospective students must have a 3.0 GPA and have already completed 100 hours of service. Prospective students must write an essay indicating how their goals relate to excellence and service. For questions or more information about applying to or participating in this program, contact Dr. Paula Reams at (937) 395-6566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Steve Carlson at (937) 479-1317 or email KetteringStudentLIFE@gmail.com
- Meet all requirements for admission to KC.
- Present transcripts reflecting a high school GPA of 3.25 or above (on a 4-point scale) or college GPA of 3.0 or above (on a 4-point scale). Please submit this information from the portal if currently a student.
- Complete an interview process.
- Present a minimum of 100 documented volunteer service hours for a life time (any work done for free).
- Present application by June 15 for fall semester admission, March 15 for summer semester admission, or October 15 for winter semester admission.
- Write a short essay on personal goals for the program. Contact email@example.com for more information.