Christian Social Ethics Research Guide
KC/Wright State and Affiliates Catalog
Search for books, videos and other materials in the library collection.
ID# to request materials:
- Students: last 5 digits of Student ID# + last 4 digits of SSN
- Faculty and Staff: last 5 digits of employee ID#
Useful LC SUBJECT HEADINGS for this topic:
Affirmative Action Programs
Capital punishment--moral and ethical aspects
Capital punishment--relgious aspects
Chrisianity and justice
Christianity and politics
Christianity and social problems
Church and social problems
Criminal justice administration of--moral and ethical aspects
Human rights--religious aspects
Medical care, cost of
Poverty--moral and ethical aspects
Public Schools--United States
Right to die
Right to education
Right to health care
Same Sex Marriage
Social justice--religious aspects
United States. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
Useful MeSH SUBJECT HEADINGS for this topic:
Health Expenditures -- United States
Health Policy -- economics -- United States
Health Resources -- economics -- United States
Health Status -- United States
Quality of Life -- United States
Useful LC CALL NUMBERS on this subject:
|BV629-631||Church and State|
|BV4400-4470||Practical Church Work. Social Work|
|HN1-29||Social history. Social problems|
|HN 30-39||The Church and Social Problems|
|HV1-9960||Social and Public Welfare. Criminal Justice|
Useful NLM CALL NUMBERS on this subject:
|W74||Medical economics. Health care costs|
|W76||Health Services Accessibility|
|W85.5||Right to die|
- Search the holdings of all OhioLINK member libraries. Materials listed as available may be requested for delivery to the Kettering College Library. Allow 2-3 business days for delivery.
- For your institution select: Wright State University
ID# to request materials:
- Students: last 5 digits of Student ID# + last 4 digits of SSN
- Faculty and Staff:Last 5 digits of employee ID#
- Academic Search Complete
- Provides full text for more than 3,430 scholarly publications covering a wide variety of academic areas of study
- ATLA Religion Database
- Index to articles, book reviews, and essays on religion and theology
- Health Source (Academic)
- Provides access to nearly 590 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. Also featured are abstracts and indexing for over 627 journals
- International index to journals in the biomedical sciences
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection
- Covers information concerning topics in emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods.
- Religion and Philosophy Collection
- A comprehensive database covering such topics as world religions, major denominations, biblical studies, religious history, epistemology, political philosophy, philosophy of language, moral philosophy and the history of philosophy with over 290 full text journals
- Social Sciences Citation Index
- Citations and cited references from over 1,100 arts and humanities journals and over 1700 journals in the social sciences
- A comprehensive database for sociology research indexing not only journal articles but also significant monographs
- Sociological Collection
- A comprehensive database covering information in all areas of sociology, including social behavior, human tendencies, interaction, relationships, community development, culture and social structure.
Periodicals on Social Justice available through the EJC
- Education,Citizenship and Social Justice
- Human Rights Review
- International Journal on Minority and Group Rights
- Journal of Human Justice
- Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights
- Social Justice Research
Electronic Journal Collection
The Electronic Journal Center provides full-text access to a core collection of scholarly journals in the Social Sciences. Below are links to those collections. You may search all journals, journals in a specific subject cluster, or an individual title for articles on a topic.
- EJC General Social Sciences Collection
- EJC Politics, Political Science and Law Collection
- EJC Psychology and Psychiatry Collection
- EJC Sociology and Social Sciences Collection
- Human Rights Watch
Human Rights Watch is one of the world’s leading independent organizations dedicated to defending and protecting human rights. .
- Marianist Social Justice Collaborative
Designed as a vehicle to promote education and action for social justice, provides access to information on a variety of Christian social issues.
- Sojourners: Faith, Politics, and Culture
Website of "a Christian ministry ... to proclaim and practice the biblical call to integrate spiritual renewal and social justice." Covers human rights, war and peace, current events, social issues, and other topics. Much of the material is from current and past issues of Sojourner magazine
- IPL2: Human Rights
A collection of links to sites dealing with human rights issues maintained by IPL2
- IPL2: Social Issues
A collection of links to sites dealing with social issues maintained by IPL2
"Think Tanks," many of which have political/ideological affiliations, publish research findings and political recommendations on a wide variety of social issues. Below are links a number of both conservative and liberal "think tanks" that discuss a wide range of social issues.
- National Center for Public Policy Research
- Heritage Foundation
- Cato Institute
- American Conservative Union
- Federalist Society
- Christian Coalition
- Focus on the Family
- Institute for Policy Studies
- People for the American Way
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Political Research Associates
- American Civil Liberties Union:
- Amnesty International
- National Gay and Lesbian Tak Force
Below are links to gateway sites to public policy resources, several "think tanks" presenting well-organized research on social issues, and a few of the best resources for statistical data.
- Public Policy Issues and Groups
From Vanderbilt University, a good gateway to online resources across a wide spectrum of public policy issues.
- Pew Research Center
The Pew Research Center conducts nonpartisan public opinion polling and social science research and is an outstanding resource for social issues and public policy information. Use the “Topics” index and the “Projects of the Center” to navigate--as well as the “Site Search.” Also note the Pew Internet and American Life Project: Topics, Pew Social & Demographic Trends: Topics, Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life: Topics, and Pew Research Center for the People & the Press: Topics..
- Public Agenda
A non-partisan organization dedicated to informing citizens about public policy issues and government officials about public opinion. See especially "Reports and Surveys" where you can use the "Filter list by Issue Area" menu..
- National Center for Policy Analysis:
Leading think tank that takes a “free enterprise” approach to public policy issues. Use tabs across the top for issue areas..
- Brookings Institute: Topics
Another leading think tank, sometimes characterized as liberal, with information on a wide range of social/political issues.
- Rand Corporation: Core Research Areas
A gateway to the topics Rand designates as vital to public policy debate. Also note the “Hot Topics” links at the lower right of the page.
- DocuTicker: Article Categories
This Web site collects articles and reports from government agencies, NGOs, and think tanks. This list of topic categories provides broad access, but for more targeted searching use the keyword slot at the upper right.
- SocioSite: Sociological Subjects
From the University of Amsterdam, SocioSite is an outstanding gateway to Web resources on almost any social issue. Use this large set of subject categories to get started.
- A Sociological Tour Through Cyberspace
Gateway to the many thematic collections of annotated links by Web sociologist extraordinaire, Dr. Michael Kearl.
almost 30 years of investigative journalism by this PBS show is available here in one-hour Flash videos. Most of these focus on social and public policy issues. Browse the options by Category on the right or scan them all By Date.
- World Values Survey
Political, social, and cultural data on the values and beliefs of over 80 societies worldwide--including the United States--since 1981. A great site, but it can be a challenge to navigate. To get started try my World Values Survey: User Guide.
This is a British-based--but international--gateway to the best educational and research sites on the Web. All sites have been screened, selected, and helpfully annotated. Note that you can begin with a Keyword search or use the extensive “Browse Web Resources by Subject” menu. Note: Intute ceased to be maintained in 2011--but many (many) of its links still work, so it's still worth a visit.
- Kaiser Family Foundation
Kaiser is a non-profit organization focusing on national health issues, as well as the U.S. role in global health policy.
The United States government provides the raw data and statistics used in much social science research and public policy debate, so why not sample it yourself. FedStats is a good gateway and the “Topic Links A-Z” is a particularly helpful means of accessing this information.
A statistical assessment research organization based at George Mason University, STATS is a good site to check on the validity of statistical "facts" so often a part of public policy debates. Look under "Materials" for "In Depth Analysis" and "STATS in the Media" articles. Alternately, use the keyword search slot on top..