Physician Assistant Research Guide
KC/Wright State and Affiliates Catalog
Search for books, videos and other materials in the library collection.
ID# to request materials:
- Students: last 5 digits of Student ID# + last 4 digits of SSN
- Faculty and Staff: last 5 digits of employee ID#
Useful MeSH SUBJECT HEADINGS for medical topics:
- Consult the MeSH Subject Headings volume in the library, or online consult Medline or PubMed for a complete list of medical subject headings that can be use to do subject searching on medical topics.
Useful NLM CALL NUMBERS on this subject:
|W||Medical Law, Ethics, and Practice||WM||Psychiatry|
|WA||Public Health||WN||Radiology. Diganostic Imaging|
|WB||Practice of Medicine||WO||Surgery|
|WD||Diseases of Systemic, Metabolic or Environmental Origin||WQ||Obstetrics|
|WG||Cardiovascular System||WT||Geriatrics. Chronic Diseases|
|WH||Hematic and Lymphatic Sytstem||WU||Dentistry. Oral Surgery|
|WK||Endocrine System||WX||Hospitals. Health Facilities|
|WL||Nervous System||WZ||History of Medicine|
- Search the holdings of all OhioLINK member libraries. Materials listed as available may be requested for delivery to the Kettering College Library. Allow 2-3 business days for delivery.
- For your institution select: Wright State University
ID# to request materials:
- Students: last 5 digits of Student ID# + last 4 digits of SSN
- Faculty and Staff: Last 5 digits of employee ID#
- Imaging Reference Center
- The Imaging Reference Center blends thousands of high-quality, representative images and relevant diagnosis and clinical text contributed by thousands of imaging experts, enabling clinicians to quickly make well-informed image-based treatment decisions.
- LUMEN Cross Sectional Anatomy Tutor
- Cross-sectional anatomy tutorial using images from the Visible Human Project; also includes CT and MRI
- An interactive sectional anatomy tutorial.
Provides electronic access to a core collection of medical books from McGraw-Hill.
OhioLINK Electronic Book Collection--Medicine
Provides full-text access to a collection of books in the fields of medicine and public health.
R2 Digital Library
An e-book platform for full-text access to books in the health sciences.
Provides access to a collection of medical reference books including a medical dictionary.
|R QV4 G6532||Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis Of Therapeutics|
|R QV735 V243d||Davis's Drug Guide For Nurses|
|R QV 772 P578||Physicians' Desk Reference|
|R QY 25 F528m||A Manual Of Laboratory & Diagnostic Tests|
|Medical Terminology and Dictionaries|
|R W 13 S814||Stedman's Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing|
|R W 15 C9765||Current Procedural Terminology : CPT|
|Religion, Culture and Medicine|
|R W 50 R279 2003||Religious Traditions & Healthcare Decisions: Religious Beliefs and Their Application in Health Care: A Reference Guide|
|E-Book||Emerging Biological Threats: A Reference Guide|
|E-Book||Encyclopedia of Health Services Research|
|E-Book||Gale Encyclopedia of Public Health|
|R WA 13 E5561 2007||Encyclopedia of Domestic Violence|
|Medical Diagnosis and Treatment|
|E-Book||The Gale Encyclopedia of Cancer|
|E-Book||The Gale Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders|
|E-Book||The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine|
|E-Book||Human Diseases and Conditions|
|E-Book||Infectious Diseases in Context|
|R WB 39 F394f||Ferri's Clinical Advisor|
|R WB 102 F565||The 5-Minute Clinical Consult|
|R WB 115 H322||Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine|
|R WF 13 E56 2006||Encyclopedia of Respiratory Medicine|
|R WK 13 E56 2003||Encyclopedia of Hormones|
|E-Book||The Gale Encyclopedia of Neurological Disorders|
|R WL 13 E558 2002||Encyclopedia of the Human Brain|
|e-Book||Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Health|
|e-Book||Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery and Medical Tests, V.1:A-C|
|e-Book||Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery and Medical Tests, V.2:D-K|
|e-Book||Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery and Medical Tests, V.3:L-P|
|e-Book||Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery and Medical Tests, V.4:S-Z|
|e-Book||The Gale Encyclopedia of Children's Health: Infancy through Adolescence|
|R WS 141 C976 2012||Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Pediatrics|
|e-Book||Gale Encyclopedia of Senior Health: A Guide for Seniors and Their Care Givers|
|R WT 13 E564 2007||Encyclopedia of Health & Aging|
|Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities|
|R WX 22 AA1 A53 2011||AHA Guide to the Health Care Field|
- Cochran Library
- Contains high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making. It includes reliable evidence from Cochrane and other systematic reviews, clinical trials, and more
- A peer-reviewed evidence-based knowledge system authored by physicians to help clinicians make the right decisions at the point of care.
- AHQR: Evidence-based Practice
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) is the lead Federal agency charged with improving the quality, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of health care for all Americans. This section focuses specifically on evidence-based practice.
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
- a public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- BioMed Central
- Full-text access to peer-reviewed journals in the biomedical sciences, published electronically.
- Note: Not all journals can be freely accessed, some require a subscription.
- International index to journals in medicine
- Full-text access to a peer reviewed medical journal published electronically by Medscape
- Medscape Reference
- offers specialists, primary care physicians, and other health professionals the Web's most robust and integrated medical information and educational tools
- Provides abstracts and citations to the scholarly literature in the behavioral and mental health sciences
- Science Citation Index
- Covers 6,000 major journals in over 150 scientific disciplines
- Science Direct
- Provides access to full text articles from selected titles in the Elsevier journal collection.
- Digital Commons Network
- Brings together free, full-text scholarly articles from hundreds of universities and colleges worldwide including a growing collection of peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, dissertations, working papers, conference proceedings, and other original scholarly work.
- Electronic Journals Center
- Full-text indexing service for over 2000 online scholarly and research journals including many in the medical field
- Alt-Health Watch
- Full text articles from 170+ peer-reviewed and professional journals, magazines, reports, proceedings, association & consumer newsletters on complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care
- Academic Search Complete
- Provides full text for more than 3,430 scholarly publications covering a wide variety of academic areas of study
Periodicals available in the KC library
- The Clinical Advisor : For Physician Assistants
- Clinician Reviews
- JAAPA: Official Journal Of The American Academy Of Physician Assistants
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Physician Assistant: The Official Journal Of The American Academy Of Physician Assistants
Periodicals available in the Medical Library
- The Medical Library provides access to a collection of both paper and electronic Medical Journals
- PA students are welcome to use the Medical Library Journal collection during regular library hours
Electronic Journal Collection
The Electronic Journal Center provides full-text access to a core collection of scholarly journals in health and medicine. The link below will take you to that collection. You may search all journals, journals in a specific subject cluster, or an individual title for articles on a topic.
Online Medical Journal Collections
free electronic access to a collection of medical journals, however most of the journals have an embargo of more current issues. The embargo period varies by title
Free Medical Journals
free electronic access to medical journals; access to more current issues may be embargoed
- Auscultation Assistant
Designed to help students appreciate the different audio characteristics of heart murmurs and breath sounds
- Lab Tests Online
Designed to help people better understand the many clinical lab tests that are part of routine care as well as diagnosis and treatment of a broad range of conditions and diseases
Published by Medscape, Inc. Provides current health care news, access to several health related databases, a job center, and many links to health care resources.
- National Commission on Certification of Physican Assistants, Inc.
Hosted by the NCCPA, the "only credentialing organization for PA's in the United States". Includes information on certification, exams, continuing medical education, and the latest news from their quarterly newsletter.
- Ohio Revised Code Chpt 4730: Physician Assistants
Laws of the State of Ohio regarding Physician Assistants.
This popular web resource includes over 1900 images along with text, tutorials, laboratory exercises, and examination items for self-assessment that demonstrate gross and microscopic pathologic findings associated with human disease conditions.
Physician Assistant Professional Organization Sites
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
Maintained by the AAPA, the "only national organization that represents physician assistants in all specialties and all employment settings." Provides complete information on the PA profession, PA programs, PA organizations, employment, and member services.
- AAPA Joblink
The premier source for PAs looking for new jobs, as well as for employers looking for PAs. Search for jobs, post resumes, view job postings, access many other employment resources.
- Student Academy of the American Academy of Physician Assistants
A division of the AAPA above, representing PA students in all specialties and settings. Provides information on current topics in the PA field, links to resources, and pre PA information for those exploring the PA career.
- PA Pro Now
Current new items of interest to PAs.
- Physician Assistant Education Association
A national organization representing PA educational programs in the United States. Association offers an array of services for PA programs, faculty, students, and the general public. Provides access to a statewide listing of PA programs in the US with contact information.
- Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants
Organization representing about 200 members nationwide. Provides information and resources, links, and articles for both dermatologists seeking to employ physician assistants in their practices, and physician assistants interested in working in dermatology.
- Society of Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants
Hosted by SEMPA, a national organization representing emergency medicine physician assistants. Provides membership information, links, and resources relating to emergency medicine PA's.