How to Apply for Financial Aid and Deadlines
1 week ago
How to Apply for Financial Aid
To apply for financial aid, students are required to submit the following application materials to the Kettering College Student Aid Office each year:
- You should file the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. FAFSA online is available beginning October 1 each year. The paper FAFSA can be completed and mailed after October 1 each year if you cannot complete the FAFSA online.
- The processing time for the paper FAFSA is usually four to six weeks longer than the online version. Be sure to indicate Kettering College of Medical Arts (still the official name on the FAFSA), school code #007035, in step 6 on the FAFSA.
- Please make sure you read the FAFSA instructions. After reading the instructions, if you need help completing the form, there are several places you can contact.
- Call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)
Consult your high school guidance counselor
Contact us in the Student Finance Office
We must have the results of your FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA by March 31 for you to be considered for the most aid possible. Programs available to eligible students meeting the priority deadline include Federal Perkins Loan, National Nursing Loan, and Federal Work-Study.
If your results do not reach us by March 31, please file as soon as you can. Most types of financial aid are still available to those students not meeting the priority deadline.
For more information about form deadlines please review our Financial Aid Timeline and Checklist below.
Financial Aid Timeline & Checklist
- Submit FAFSA after student and parents (for dependent students) tax returns are completed (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online to the U.S. Department of Education (www.fafsa.ed.gov).
- Submit Kettering College Financial Aid Application to our financial aid office.
*Note: The typical turn-around times for FAFSA processing is 3 to 5 business days from confirmation stamp date. The processed FAFSA and Kettering College Financial Aid Application must be in our office by March 31st in order to meet priority deadline. By meeting priority deadline, you will be considered for campus-based aid including Perkins Loans and Nursing Loans. Please remember that this is just a priority deadline, you may still submit your Kettering College Financial Aid Application and complete the FAFSA online after this date to apply for other federal aid programs.
- We will send out document tracking letters to students who submit FAFSA information if additional documents are required.
- We will continue sending out Document Tracking Letters to students from whom we require additional documents.
- Return all completed documents to – Melissa Franklin, Financial Aid Counselor. *Note: Ignoring requests for documentation may delay your financial aid awarding because we cannot finish processing your file until we have all requested documents.
- Financial aid priority deadline is March 31st (see above).
- We begin to mail award letters to students with complete files. Award Letters are sent to students in the order their files are completed. You must be admitted to Kettering College in order to receive an Award Letter.
- Return award letters to Shannon Hammons in the Financial Aid Office and indicate if you intend to accept or reject the award.
- If your award is not sufficient to cover tuition and/or living expenses you may begin contacting Alternative Loan lenders. Alternative Loans are loans from private lenders who offer students educational loans based upon credit rating and/or debt to income ratio. A form will be sent to you from the financial aid office with the maximum amount you may request (pending credit approval) with the award letter. The maximum amount you may request is based upon a standard budget that includes living expenses and the exact cost of tuition and fees for each student, minus all other financial aid.
It is advantageous to shop around as each lender offers different combinations of interest rates and origination fees, depending upon credit rating. Applying with a creditworthy co-signer will usually allow you to obtain a better interest rate with a lower origination fee.
*Note: The borrower is responsible for returning any and all required documents to the LENDER (not Kettering College) including a self-certification form. Kettering College recommends using the self-certification form given by your lender. Lenders cannot release funds until they have received this form from the borrower. Do not turn the form in to the financial aid office, however, if you need a blank form or need assistance completing the form please contact us. The financial aid office is not responsible for interest rates and/or credit approval.
- New and current students register for fall semester beginning in late June.
- First time students at Kettering College are required to make a down payment of $800, or have financial aid in place that equals or exceeds your tuition and fee bill by the published financial clearance deadline for fall semester.
- First time Federal Direct and/or PLUS Loan borrowers who chose to accept those awards will be asked to fill out a Master Promissory Note online at www.studentloans.gov.
- First time Federal Direct Loan borrowers at Kettering College must complete an Entrance Counseling session online at www.studentloans.gov
- Contact Sarah Shultz in the Student Accounts Office for employment information if you are interested in receiving Federal Work Study.
- Most financial aid will be applied to your student account. We do not charge you for courses until the 100% refund period is over. Accordingly, financial aid will not be posted to your student account until after the 100% refund period is over and you have been charged for tuition and fees. (Please refer to Kettering College school calendar for last day to drop a class with a 100% refund). No financial aid can be posted until all necessary documentation and paperwork has been supplied to the financial aid office and your file is complete.
- There is a 30-day waiting period for first time Direct loan borrowers at Kettering College which means that Direct loans will not be posted for first time borrowers until at least thirty (30) days into the term.
- To check on your student account and financial aid please go to your Student Portal
- Stay in contact with Financial Aid personnel regarding your financial aid file.
If you have questions, please contact us! We would love to help.
Student Finance Office Contact
Student Finance Office Hours
Monday – Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Closed weekends and holidays