23 hrs ago
3 days ago
B.S. in Sonography Admission Requirements
Admission to the sonography program is competitive and occurs once per academic year for fall entry into the sonography program. All of your needed prerequisite courses are available at here at Kettering College. You will need to take them prior to applying for the sonography program.
Preference is given to individuals who demonstrate academic strength in the prerequisite coursework, especially those who complete courses at Kettering. Transfer students are encouraged to contact the admissions office for advising on prerequisite course equivalency.
Applicants must meet all Kettering College admission requirements.
BIOL 119 Human Anatomy and Physiology I 4 credits
BIOL 129 Human Anatomy and Physiology II 4 credits
ENGL 101 Writing and Rhetoric I 3 credits
COMM 215 Introduction to Human Communication 3 credits
MATH 165 College Algebra and Trigonometry 3 credits
PEAC 178 Wellness 1 credit
PHYS 131 Survey of Physics 4 credits
RTCA 121 Medical Terminology 1 credit
SOCI 115 Principles of Sociology 3 credits
Applicants must present transcripts reflecting a GPA of 2.5 or above (on a 4.0 scale) for all prerequisite courses.
The Minimum Grade
A minimum grade of C is required for prerequisites, whether they are completed at Kettering College or elsewhere.
Students must have completed all prerequisites before an application will be reviewed for admission to the program.
All students accepted into the sonography program are expected to be proficient in computer skills required for document preparation, Internet search, and emailing.
All sonography students must be certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) by completing the class offered by Kettering College during the first sonography clinical course in the program. Students are not required to complete CPR prior to enrollment.
Students must request and pay to have a criminal background check performed by a College-approved service no more than six months prior to beginning the clinical experience. Beginning the clinical portion of the program is contingent upon successful clearance of the background check. Students are responsible for contacting the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography at www.ardms.org for information concerning past legal issues, as they may restrict the possibility of becoming a registered sonographer.
Applicants must meet certain physical and health requirements defined as technical standards. The standards are described here on this website and in the Student Handbook.
Profile of Average Student Admitted to Sonography
Profile of the average student admitted to Kettering College’s Bachelor of Science in diagnostic medical sonography in the fall semesters of the years noted.
Note: all demographic data is self-reported.
Fall 2018 Cohort
Highest = 4.0
Average = 3.4
Average prerequisite = 3.28
Female = 22
Male = 2
White = 30
Hispanic/Latino = 0
Unknown = 0
American Indian or Alaskan Native = 0
Asian = 0
Black or African = 0
Two or more races = 0
Selection Process for Sonography Program
The sonography enrollment committee will review and evaluate each applicant’s complete academic history.
- Only students completing the application process will be considered.
- Completion and academic strength in the prerequisite coursework. Past failures and withdrawals in prerequisite courses may impact consideration for admission into sonography. Each file will be considered individually. Special attention is paid to prerequisite grades and multiple attempts in physics and anatomy and physiology.
- Evaluation of all academic experience. Past failures and withdrawals in other sonography programs will impact consideration for admission into sonography.
- Evaluation of personal essay statement. Statements are scored by content, grammar, and writing ability. Applicants may include any previous (certified) health care experience. A statement regarding past failures, low grades, or withdrawals may also be submitted with the personal statement.
- Additional qualifiers such as previous academic degrees, and degrees in allied health or nursing may influence acceptance.
- Preference will be given to applicants completing six or more prerequisite course hours at Kettering College.
- While we do use a point system to rank academic performance, each file will be looked at subjectively to determine whether the applicant is a good candidate for the sonography program.
- The diagnostic medical sonography selection committee will review all applicants following the May 25 application deadline.
- Selections will be made no later than June 25.
- All applicants will be notified by mail.