B.S. Respiratory Care Admission Requirements
Applicants are considered for admission based on the following criteria:
• Applicants are evaluated holistically based on GPA (high school or college) and test scores through the ACT or SAT (CR+M).
• Provide evidence of a quality academic background in basic science and mathematics. This will include a grade of at least C+ in high school algebra II and two science courses with laboratories, selected from biology, chemistry, or physics. A minimum grade of C is required for all college-level math and science courses whether completed at Kettering College or elsewhere.
• Score of at least 70 percent on Kettering College math placement exam.
• Completed student personal statement.
• Additional acceptance qualifiers such as completion of job shadow experience, status as a current Kettering College student, ACT composite and/or SAT scores may influence acceptance.
Profile of Average Student Admitted to Respiratory Care
Profile of the average student admitted to Kettering College’s Associate of Science in respiratory care in the fall semester of the years noted.
Note: all demographic data is self-reported.
Fall 2015 Cohort Size
Black or African American 2
American Indian or Alaska Native 0
Two or more races 0
Other Admission Requirements
- Applicants must maintain minimal acceptance requirements in all academic work prior to matriculation into the program.
- All students accepted for admission into the program must complete a mandatory four-hour job shadow experience with a respiratory therapist in a health care setting prior to enrolling in the first professional course (RESB). Forms to document the job shadow experience are available in the admissions office and here.
- Students must request and pay to have a criminal background check performed by a College-approved service no more than six months prior to beginning the clinical experience. Please contact the program office assistant Sandy.firstname.lastname@example.org at (937) 395-8601 x55660 for approved service contact information. Commencement of the clinical portion of the program is contingent upon successful clearance of the background check.
- In order to participate in clinical activities, all students must have personal health insurance coverage and must maintain coverage during the time they are enrolled for professional courses (RESB).
- All college-required immunizations must be completed before the student can begin the clinical experience. Individual clinical sites may require additional immunizations, all of which must be completed and maintained throughout that assignment. The immunization record must be submitted prior to registration for classes.
The purpose of the clinical observation is to provide the students with a deeper understanding of the duties and responsibilities of respiratory therapist.
All students admitted to the respiratory care program at Kettering College must complete a mandatory 4-hour clinical observation of a Respiratory Therapist. It is strongly encouraged, for applicants to complete the job shadow experience prior to beginning the professional respiratory courses. Click here for job shadow form.
This job shadow may be completed at any health care facility of your choosing that employs respiratory therapists. For your convenience here is a list of contact information at area hospitals that will help you to schedule your clinical observation experience:
- Kettering Medical Center – contact John Hutsell, Coordinator for Respiratory Education, at (937) 298-3399 x55265 or e-mail email@example.com
- Miami Valley Hospital – Yolanda Munguia, Learning Institute (937) 499-8805, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Premier Health Website for job shadowing: https://www.premierhealth.com/healthcare-professionals/careers/residencies-fellowships-and-internships/job-shadowing
If you require any additional assistance in scheduling your clinical observation experience at another health care facility, feel free to contact Alisa French, program chair, by calling (937) 395-8601 x 55690, or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Prior to your clinical observation experience, healthcare facilities require documentation of immunizations (measles, mumps, and rubella) and the TB skin test (PPD). You may obtain copies of your immunization records and TB skin test from your private medical doctor or your school nurse’s office.
To verify the job shadow experience, students must complete the job shadow form and submit it to the Respiratory Care Program Chair at Kettering College:
Department of Respiratory Care
3737 Southern Blvd.
Kettering, OH 45429