Academic Appeals Information

Academic Appeals Information

Download a PDF version of the Academic Appeals Petition.

Q: Where can I find information on the Appeal Process?
A: The Student Handbook gives an outline of the appeal process.

Q: What can I appeal?
A: Students who wish Kettering College to make an exception to a standard academic policy may appeal in writing to the appeals committee through the registrar’s office. (Academic Bulletin)

Q: When should I appeal?
A: When students feel they have been the recipient of unfair, unethical, or discriminatory academic decisions, they may choose to use the academic grievance process to address their concerns. (Student Handbook)
Attempt to resolve the issue with the professor or official most directly involved with making the decision.
If the student is unable to approach that individual, or if resolution is not available, the student may always go to that person’s program chair or director.
After all other attempts have been made; students may also wish to discuss the issue with one of the deans or the president.
When more formal channels are useful, students are able to use the appeal process to request adjustments or exception from school policies.

Q: Where can I obtain an Appeal Form?
A: You may download the form here, or stop by the records office to pick up the blue Academic Appeals Form.

Q: What type of documentation should I submit with the Appeal Form?
A: Exceptions to policy may be made due to extenuating circumstances; therefore, documentation of those extenuating circumstances should be submitted with your petition.
A few examples of extenuating circumstances are:

  • Financial hardship due to loss of property by fire
  • Illness or death of close relative
  • Accidents
  • Legal issues

Q: What signatures do I need before submitting the appeal?
A: You will need to obtain your program or department chair’s signature before submitting your request to the registrar’s office.

Q: What other Kettering College forms should be submitted with the signed appeal form?
A: Depending on your request you may need to submit additional forms.

  • Change of registration form(add/drop)for changing a course load after deadlines.
  • NOTE: It is strongly recommended students attend all classes while waiting for approval of withdrawal.
  • Course evaluation formfor approval of course work taken from another institution not affiliated with SOCHE.
  • Consult with records office staff when submitting the appeal for other forms.

A Student who is not satisfied with the outcome of the appeal/grievance process may file a complaint with the Ohio Department of Education at

If you have questions please contact the Registrar Office at (937) 395-6615.

Registrar Office Hours:

Mon.-Thurs. 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Friday 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.

Closed weekends and holidays


Applying is easy! Get started now.


Request More Information


Request More Information


Alumni Enter To Win

Winning an Apple Watch, iPad, or Kettering Merchandise has never been easier. Click the button below to fill our the Kettering College Alumni survey and be automatically entered to win one of the two prizes below! Simple as that!
Sharing the survey when you’re finished increases your chances of winning. You get one additional entry for every other alumni member that you share it with and completes the form!