15 hrs ago
OTD Admission Requirements
Minimal requirements for admission:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from a regionally accrediting higher education institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4 point scale. For students with a degree in progress and admitted on a conditional basis, evidence of completing the Bachelor’s degree must be submitted to the Kettering College Occupational Therapy Department at least 30 days prior to the first day of class.
- Completion of the following prerequisite courses within the past 10 years, or evidence of use of content in work within past 10 years, with a minimum grade of C.
Anatomy and Physiology with lab – 8 semester credits
Developmental Psychology – 3 semester credits
Abnormal Psychology – 3 semester credits
Sociology – 3 semester credits
Statistics – 3 semester credits
Writing and Rhetoric II – 3 semester credits
Medical Terminology – 1 semester credit
Note: Students earning less than a C during a retake of any of the prerequisite courses will not be considered for admission. Evidence of completion of all prerequisite courses must be submitted to the occupational therapy department at least 30 days prior to the first day of class.
- Five letters of recommendations from individuals with direct experience in evaluating your academic or work performance (e.g. work supervisor, course instructor).
- Twenty (20) hours of observation of an occupational therapist (OTR). (Click here to download OT observation tracking form) You may also submit your own form/documentation that includes signature and date of occupational therapist (OTR).
- Submission of official GRE results to the Kettering College main campus: 3737 Southern Blvd. Kettering, OH 45429. Note: Select GRE Designated Institution Code (DI) 4665 to submit your official GRE score directly to OTCAS. This code will appear with Kettering College on the GRE Institution Code List when you select the institutions that you want to receive your GRE test scores.
OTD Application Process
Application Openings – The Application Process for the 2020 start date has closed. We will begin accepting applications for 2021 in midsummer 2020. Continue to check this page for the official Application Process start date. Please note, only applicants whose OTCAS application is completed by and verified by the OTCAS system by will be considered for admissions. It can take several weeks for applications to be verified by OTCAS, please plan accordingly.
Applicants must complete the application process on the Occupational Therapy Centralized Admission System (OTCAS) at https://portal.otcas.org/ and have their application completed and verified by the deadline published on www.kc.edu/occupational-therapy to be considered for admissions. It can take several weeks for applications to be verified by OTCAS, please plan accordingly. During the application process, all official transcripts should be sent directly to OTCAS. However, if an applicant received college credit from any international college or university, official transcripts need to be mailed to OTCAS and Kettering College directly from the institution(s), and the applicant needs to have the transcript(s) officially translated by a company that provides credential evaluation, such as WES, ECE, or Josef Silny (www.wes.org, www.ece.org, www.jsilny.com).
***It is our policy to use the cumulative GPA calculated by OTCAS when assigning admission points. This applies to those who have completed either their Bachelor’s degree and/or their Master’s degree, as well as those who have degrees in progress. OTCAS calculates GPAs based on all academic course work completed. For more information on how OTCAS calculates GPAs, please read the OTCAS frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the OTCAS website.
The Kettering College OTD Program values exceptional professional skills and endeavors to hold all faculty, staff, and students to the highest levels of professionalism as ambassadors for the profession of occupational therapy and the Kettering Health Network brand of care. To this end, the OTD program at Kettering College scores applicants on their professional skills and behaviors as demonstrated through the applicant’s interactions with faculty and staff throughout the entire application process. This is comprehensive and includes all interactions; face-to-face, virtual, phone conversations, and communications via e-mail.
Once completed the applications are reviewed and verified. All verified applications are reviewed with select applicants invited for an on-site application visit. This process consists of interviews and collection of a writing sample.
Interview Days for OTD program:
To Be Determined
Scores are compiled based on:
- Overall GPA
- Prerequisite GPA
- GPA of the last 60 credits completed
- Five letters of recommendation
- GRE scores
- Interview scores
- Previous enrollment in Kettering College (or an AAA accredited school) or Kettering Health
- Network Employment
Following interviews all applicants will be ranked in total score from highest to lowest. Positions in the program will be offered in writing to the top applicants. Applicants accepting the offers will be required to submit a $500 non-refundable deposit. The $500 will be applied to the first semester’s tuition. If any applicant does not accept an offer or fails to submit the deposit, the next person in the ranking will be offered the position. This will continue until all positions are filled. Once all positions are filled, any applicants left on the ranking list will be placed on a wait list. If any seats remain open following the standard admission process, applications will be accepted and reviewed as they are received, with admission offered to qualified applicants until the cohort reaches full enrollment or until the start of the first day of classes; at which time the admissions process will officially close for the academic year.
Foreign Applicant Requirements
- Citizenship requirements: US Citizen, Permanent Resident, Naturalized Citizen, F visa eligible
- Requires TOEFL scores: Students from a non-English-speaking country need to submit TOEFL scores. A minimum total score of 90 is required for all Internet-based tests; a minimum total score of 577 is required for all written tests. The TOEFL exam must be taken within the past two years, and the official test scores must be mailed directly from the testing site to the Kettering College Admissions Office 3737 Southern Blvd., Kettering, Ohio 45429.
- International students must provide proof of ability to pay for at least one academic year at Kettering College.
The entry-level occupational therapy doctoral degree program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 200, North Bethesda, MD 20852-4929. ACOTE’s telephone number c/o AOTA is (301) 652-AOTA and its Web address is www.acoteonline.org.
Graduates of the program will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapist administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). After successful completion of this exam, the individual will be an Occupational Therapist, Registered (OTR).
In addition, all states require licensure in order to practice; however, state licenses are usually based on the results of the NBCOT Certification Examination. Note that a felony conviction may affect a graduate’s ability to sit for the NBCOT certification examination or attain state licensure.
Students must request and pay to have a criminal background check performed by a College-approved service no more than six months prior to beginning the clinical experience. Please contact the admissions office for an approved service.
Commencement of the clinical portion of the program is contingent upon successful clearance of the background check. Offenses involving the conviction of or pleading guilty to crimes based upon the Ohio Revised Code 2151.86, reflecting Senate Bill 38 Disqualifiers constitute an automatic ban to acceptance. Please refer to the specific program of study for further details.